So here's the story.
Power goes out. Neighbor and I commiserate and see that the whole area is out of power, it's not just us. Then we hear our neighbors' fire alarm going off like crazy next door to me. No one answers door. First Neighbor tells me it might be shorting out because power went out and that that has happened to her. Still no one answers door and inside alarm is going off. Door is locked. We aren't too worried, but I call the police to be safe. I'm big about playing it safe. Probably kind of annoys people.
I tell police (not 911, just local police) that we hear our neighbor's fire alarm inside her house, door is locked, we think it shorted out but maybe someone can come and make sure, or at least turn it off.
Next thing I know, an ambulance has arrived, the BIG GUN fire truck of Pleasant Grove (can you see this thing!?! It actually has to be driven in the front of the truck, and then another driver in the back of the truck for turns!), and another firetruck behind it!!
I finally get a hold of the neighbor who lives in the fire alarm house. (I was glad I got a hold of her cause the firemen were debating whether to kick down the front door or Spiderman it up to the third floor balcony! (Like all the superhero references lately? I dunno why.)) I told her we wanted to make sure everything was okay for her, and to not be alarmed when she drives in and there are four firetrucks in the way!
I felt so sheepish! I just wanted someone, one someone, to come make sure there wasn't a fire behind the locked door. Guess how many suited up firemen were there? Eight! (At least Eight!) And how many fire chiefs! (At least three!) Guess it was a slow day at the fire department.
…
Well, I have already ruined my reputation with the neighbors for being the uptight one, so what the heck! Let's play! I ask the firemen, now that they're here, if we can look at the firetrucks! They were super stoked to show them off to Trent and me.
Trent has actually had some nightmares lately about firetrucks, so I was really happy to have the opportunity to help him get over his fear.
![]() |
| We went and looked, and after a slight hesitation he went up and touched it. |
![]() |
| He's still not so sure about the firetruck thing. |
![]() |
| This was actually a High Five at one point. :D |
When my neighbor arrived it was, of course, discovered that everything was safe. There was a short in the alarms. The firemen, six of them(!), went in the house and figured out the fire alarms, perhaps climbing on the rafters in the attic to do it. (That was the last idea discussed before I ran and hid myself, never to come out again.)
It's true. I caused all this.
Hey, my house is still standing! And so is my neighbors!
It's true. I caused all this.
Hey, my house is still standing! And so is my neighbors!
Thank you, firemen, for keeping us safe! I'm glad I gave you something to train on today. It IS valuable to train on 'How to Handle those Dillusional Mothers in PG'.
Also, a big thanks, for making sure I felt like I did the right thing. They really were so great. I am glad they are there to fight the real fires for us, when they happen.













2 comments:
Oh my goodness!! This is crazy!! I can't believe you made the whole thing up about your neighbor's fire alarm just so you could have the firemen come and help Trent get over his fear of firetrucks! What moms won't do!!
haha Love these pictures! What an event!!
Besides the fact that you're hilarious, charming, and so much fun to be around... I'd give most anything to have you as a neighbor! I'd MUCH rather have my neighbor playing it safe with my house than hesitating (and pulling out her s'mores ingredients when the flames started to build)!
Love this post. And that sweet firetruck. Wowza!
Post a Comment