Music moves me more than most any other thing on this earth, it is true.
I think some people are just particularly moved by music. I am one of those people. My life would truly be glum without the music in my life. I play music. I sing music. I study music. I dance to music. I believe in music's power to heal, teach, edify the mind, edify the heart. Nothing makes my tear ducts leak faster or gets my adrenaline rushing stronger than music.
So I have music on my blog. And I love it. It represents a part of my heart.
I have had some questions about why the Steinway was number one on my wish list, not that my wishes were in a particular order, but some have questioned, do you play? Oh man. This is evidence that I have truly buried my talents and therefore God will take away.
Yes I play the piano. I majorly play the piano. How does a person answer this question without coming off in any way one wouldn't want to? Does it suffice to say I almost majored in Piano? I studied classical piano since I was five and practiced 2 hours a day until a few years ago.
I had two loves in my life. Dance and Piano. I wanted to major in both, but both were all-consuming. So I majored in Marketing. :) I still studied Dance and Piano both at BYU, but I just couldn't give my heart to just one.
So I am extremely thankful that I have playing the piano as an outlet in my life. I love that my mom sacrificed time, money, effort, and her sanity to fight with me to not quit for how many years? My whole life. The thing about piano is, you don't realize you are gonna regret not studying the piano for the rest of your life until you are, well, too old to justify the time to spend the necessary hours to study anymore! (Even though I still practice. But I can't do a serious study like I did in my window of opprotunity. So THANK YOU MOM.) I would have MAJOR regrets without you MOM, that I don't think I would ever get over.
Mom never let me quit because she saw talent. Mom woke me up at 6 am every morning to practice. Mom had me practice in between drill team and ballet. Mom got me the best teacher I could have ever asked for.
And pretty much half of my life lessons were right there, in piano.
I am so grateful that I know music, it's history, that I have learned the revolutionary composers and have tried to play their music as they intended and would make them proud, and that studying music has shaped me. Few things allow me to release the feelings of my heart like playing the piano, singing a song, and dancing do.
And back to the worldly part of music, outside the classical: I LOVE LADY ANTEBELLUM. Which you might be hearing right now if you can hear the music from our blog.
And Hilary Weeks new CD. Woah.
Tears. Tears I tell ya. Beautiful music = tears.
Let the tears come.
6 comments:
I too am a lover of music, and the piano. I sing and I play but not like you play. I aspire to play like you do. I'm looking to take lessons again actually, because I always played too much by ear and not enough theory was learned in my lesson years. Have any references? Good piano teachers? Maybe you? But then would that make our friendship awkward if I didn't practice as well as I should have one week? And you had to discipline me? hmmm. I love this post. Music is so powerful, for good and bad. We see its tremendous influence everywhere in the world around us. Does anything bring the spirit like music? PS Are you guys free Friday night for dinner and games? I know saturday will be all consumed by the game, but Friday we'd love to hang!!
I didn't know you play the piano! Definitely share your talent!
You are AMAZING! Remember how I got the honor of playing duets with you in third grade? Yeah, that was cool.
Love love LOVE Hillary Weeks. Also Jenny Phillips. Do you have her music too? You need to audition for her fireside group next year!!!
i had no idea. how did i not know?
music is an outlet for me as well.
loved this post.
I would LOVE to hear you play the piano!!!!!!!
It looks like you have announced something very fun!!! Can't wait to see you on Friday. Mandarin here we come:)
Post a Comment