Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Family Night Lesson

For Family Night a few weeks ago I helped Hadley explain the restoration and apostasy with an object lesson I used in my mission.

When Christ was on earth, He established His church with four things: He called Prophets, gave them the authority: the Priesthood, gave them Revelation, and they wrote their revelations in Scriptures.



And Christ's church stood on those four pedestals.


After Christ's death, the apostles and prophets were persecuted and eventually all were killed. So we lost prophets (the picture of Christ falls), revelation, and the authority. This fall of Christ's church is called the Great apostasy.

All that remained were the scriptures. And men interpreted them in all different ways. That's why we have so many churches today. Then we explain the story of Joseph Smith and rebuild the church! The same church Christ established when He was here on earth!

We didn't take pictures of it all, and even if the kids didn't understand, I enjoyed giving it a try. We'll do it again and again I'm sure.

0 comments: